Rangers of Shadow Deep - Isher's Weapon Shop Try 2

Back at the inn, Carov, Victor, Cooper, Gorbin, Revna and Yvanne sat in the common room, the warmth and smell of humanity surrounding them.  Listening to Gorbin devour another plate of sausages, Victor spoke up “Well, we got out of that prison; got some nice weapons, but no cash.  With how much we’re spending on food now, we need to find work, together or separately.”
“I’m going where Yvanne goes for a while”, Revna said, “I still need her healing.”
“I got nothing, and nowhere to go.” Cooper said.  “You could return to Alladore”, Carov replied.  Cooper stared at him, fear in his eyes, “I thought I recognized you - you were here with that Ranger Serrol, right?  We had to hide in our cabin on the boat over - Roan said you’d have us thrown overboard as deserters.”
“We might have, then”, Carov said, “Today is a different day.  And truth be told, I wouldn’t have recognized you.  You should have painted over your shield - the Silver Star isn’t common in these parts.  The ship back to Alladore docks here in 20 days, and Victor and I will be on it.  If you return with us, we will recommend a pardon.”
Cooper looked down at his beer, and mumbled, “I’ll think about it.”
“If you decide not to, Victor and I will forget we’ve seen you.  I’m not a Ranger.  I’m just a conjurer from the Cascades.”
“I was there, Carov.  I was patrolling near the border with Lorenthia when the Shadow consumed it.  I SAW Lorenthia die, and I ran.  I’m not proud of that, but I’m not sure I can go back.”
Carov didn’t know what to say to that.  He had never been to the border; He and Serrol had been sent to Felstad instead.
“We have twenty days.  We have time to think.  For now, though, we need money - Gorbin’s been eating all our savings.  I want a second crack at the Weapon Shop, but don’t want to risk those vapor snakes again.”
Revna spoke up, “I have a bone to pick with those gnolls myself.    And with you.  We got out of that prison, and Victor and the ogre got the loot.  Yeah, you’re paying for room and board, but I’m here for treasure.”
“Find us a way into the weapon shop without going through the snakes, and I’ve got something for you.  Something worth more than the two weapons put together.”
“And what about you, Yvanne?  Why is a priestess delving through ruins?”
“Ask me no questions, and I’ll tell you no lies, Carov.  If Revna goes, I will follow.”
Carov nodded.  “Gorbin!  Want to fight gnolls?”
“Cooper coming?”
“Yeah, I’m going, buddy.  Cooper replied.
“Yeah!  Fight gnolls!”

Later that evening, Revna returned from scouting out the Weapon Shop.  "Well, 'boss', I found a way in, past the snakes.  What do you have for me?"
"Here", Carov said, handing her a quiver.
"A lousy quiver?  I already have one."
"Count the arrows inside."
After ten minutes of pulling handfuls of arrows out of the quiver, Revna stared at Carov.  "Do they ever run out?"
"Of course - there's two hundred in there, plus four magic arrows.  It's yours, if you join the team."
"A deal's a deal.  When do we leave?"
"No time like the present." Carov replied.  "Victor - we could use an extra sword."
"On it, Carov."

Revna lead the team around the weapon shop and onto its roof, dropping down into the entrance of the weapon shop.

"Sutton, lead the dog up the middle.  Lure them away - don't get caught, and then flee.  Don't be foolish.  The rest of you - to the left."
The baying of the gnolls started almost immediately, and it wasn't long until Gorbin charged into a pair of gnolls, followed by Revna and Carov.

The gnolls fell quickly, allowing Victor and Cooper to take point, heading up the left wall.
They moved quickly, heading up the wall until they reached the back.  Sutton and the dog lured most of the gnolls into the center of the chamber, keeping their attention, and holding them at bay.  "If we make it out of here, Sutton deserves a raise", Carov thought.
Victor found the first lock, and took cover while the rest of the team moved past.
Just then, a loud bellow "WHAT GOES ON HERE?".  The large Gnoll-beast, Borock, entered the room.  "FIND THEM AND KILL THEM!"

While the main team found some cover, Sutton and the dog did their best to avoid Borock and the rest of the gnolls.

Unfortunately, his luck did not last.
"We'll get you out", Carov thought, as Sutton went down.  "I won't lose you."
The team was able to secure the loot quickly, and then started to head out.


More gnolls appeared - archers, trying to cut down the team with ranged fire.
Arrows flew, drawing blood, as Carov moved to stop the weapon fire.
More and more gnolls poured out from the corner, Carov and team doing their best to allow their team around the bend and to safety.
"Get going!"  Carov cried, urging his team past the rubble and towards the exit.
Gorbin and Cooper, the new team, charged in, intercepting the gnolls , while the rest of the team made their way, trying to stay out of view of the gnolls, as they milled around searching.
Taking some wounds, both Gorbin and Cooper slew the gnolls, while Victor and Yvanne made their way through cover, only to come face to face with two ambushing gnolls
The rest of the team charged to help; the gnolls spotting the trailing end of Cooper's cloak, but the glimpse was not enough for them to pursue.
In the mad melee that followed (and here, I failed to get pictures), Victor, Cooper and Carov all went down.  Gorbin bellowed "Cooper!", grabbing their bodies and shoved them into his wicker backpack.

Revna grabbed the treasure Cooper was carrying as they headed for the door.
The team made it out of the door, to the furious barking of the gnolls.
Making it back to safety, Yvanne performed her healing on the team.  Carov and Victor recovered fully from their injuries.  Sutton was badly wounded, and would need time, but poor Cooper and the dog, whom they had nicknamed 'bait' did not survive.


Sadly, no great weapons were found - they recovered a pile of gold & jewels, enough to keep them fed with a roof over their head for a while, and a pair of Boots of Soft Tread, which Revna claimed for herself.
Carov earned 140 XP, so he is now Level 5; he gave the PP from the Gold & Jewels to Victor, so Victor, Gorbin, Yvanne and Revna all gained 2PP; Sutton gained 1PP.

As a last note, I wanted to show off my "dashboard", containing the Companion, Heroic Ability, Spell, and Item cards I created for my Ranger.  I find it very useful, as I can flip over Heroic Abilities and Spells when they're used so I can keep track more easily.  I also think it looks better than the normal sheets.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Campaign Turn 13 - Hesione - Nervous Tapping of Fingers

Bug Hunt - Kethira Station, Actogor System

House Rule - Leveling up